Winter is here and its time for a few electrical tips to protect you and your family around the home.  Did you know that more home fires occur during the winter months than any other time of the year?  Its true.  Heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the united states.

  • So before plugging in that space heater, make sure you first read the instruction manual.
  • Always keep space heaters 3 feet away from combustible materials, such as bedding, clothing draperies, and rugs.
  • Turn off the space heater and unplug it when it is not in use.
  • And never use space heaters in rooms where children are unsupervised. Children may stick their fingers and other objects through the protective  guards causing burns or electrical shock.
  • If you use a heating pad or electrical blanket, regularly check for cracked or frayed electrical cords.
  • And never fold or place any items on top of heating pad or electrical blanket.  When in use this may result in overheating and firing.
  • Further, never run electric cords under rugs or behind furniture, and plug only one heating appliance such as a space heater, coffee maker, or microwave into a wall outlet at the same time.  Overloading outlets can cause fire.

In closing, please make sure you check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on a regular basis.  Follow these tips and you will keep your family safe this winter and throughout the rest of the year.

Should you have questions or require service, visit our website at www.babconelectric.com or call 859-623-3848

LEAVE A REVIEW
X